Sunday, September 6, 2009

Why...WHY!!

You know when your precious, darling children do something that isn't so precious?

Don't you think good, responsible parents would learn their lesson and take the necessary measures to make sure said "un-precious" thing doesn't happen again?

Like when Jack started to walk and would constantly pull the books off the book shelf...we just took the books off the shelf permanently. When Bianca's favorite thing to suck on became the remote for the TV, we just moved it to where she couldn't reach it.

Parenthood is all about adapting. When something doesn't work, you make a change.

So, recently when Jacks favorite game became flushing the toilet, what would the responsible parent have done? keep the door closed...get one of those nifty child-proof toilet lockers...something like that.

I guess the act of just flushing wasn't severe enough to warrant any action on my part, but I should have taken action when the fascination became not just flushing, but watching things swirl down until they disappear.

A few weeks ago I had to call the plumber because our toilet was blocked. I knew it was blocked because I was missing my contact case (with contacts in them) Not only did the plumber remove the contact case (contacts missing. lovely) but also an ENTIRE tube of toothpaste, and a block. ENTIRE tube of toothpaste...I had no idea you could even flush something that huge. Apparently you can.

I still didn't take action.

A few days later, I heard a "plink" in the toilet, and ran into check it out...


Aargh, that's my wedding ring. Lucky save. Jack ran out of the bathroom and put himself right into time out for that one. He knew he was in trouble.

I still didn't take action.

A week later, I wasn't so quick...now my wedding ring is gone. forever.

I think it's time to take action. Time to make a change.
************************************************
On the flip side...I upgraded from a 3/4 carat diamond to the 1 carat! This time I went for a complete fake. The ring is beautiful and to be completely honest, I don't know one person that can tell it's not real (well, except for the 10 people that read this blog). It does have the white gold plating, but beneath it's just sterling silver. And all those diamonds...Cubic Zirconium's. Not to shabby.

Go ahead Jack, flush this bad boy...


15 comments:

Amber said...

What the!!!?? I hope you had insurance on your ring, you did, right? I thought you were going to post on your keys in the food processor. Time to put things up high Jill!

Heather said...

OH no!!!

Aidan's been fascinated with sticking his fingers in the toilet water... hmmm, maybe I should act now and get the toilet lock or something. Next thing I know they'll be pulling toothpaste from OUR drain!

Cindy said...

I'm commentless! Good thing he is so cute!

Kim said...

Oh Jill, I just wanted to cry for you. I would probably cry if that happened to me. At least you have that story to make him feel guilty when he is older.

melody said...

This is pretty funny, although also tragic. It's obvious YOU can see the humor in the situation! I LOVE That you went for the huge "diamond."

P.S. I have a picture with my engagement ring in the toilet very similar to your photo. But I can't blame it on my little one. Clumsy me!

Jessie said...

Oh Jill!!! I was sick just reading this! I didn't want to believe this actually happened!! Thanks for the heads-up with this post though. Crew has a fascination with toilets too!

I love that he put himself into timeout! Thats when you know it is bad!!!!

Becky said...

I did one of those gasps out loud, covering my mouth with my hand. Loud enough I guess that Tyler came over to see what happened. I am really so sorry. Love the shiny replacement. Flash that baby around!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

oh Jill! I'm sorry! At least you like your new ring right?

Sarah said...

Do you have renters insurance? It usually covers the cost up to a certain amount. Oh man! That stinks royally!!!

The Curtis' said...

I must not be your nicest friend because, as always, I'm laughing out loud at your story!!! (I do have some compassion.) The full on fake was a nice choice! Then when you want to change it you can have Jack flush it again. :)

Kassi said...

I am speechless.

Ben and Kelli said...

I am sorry! But Jill that's totally hilarious. And yes I must be a crappy friend too because I was laughing through the whole post. Totally love the new ring though!!! Good choice :)

Brandon and Becca said...

I am so sorry. I don't know what I would do to my kids in that situation. We put a baby gate up on our bathrooms to keep kids out but keep air circulating...Jack could probably climb over it though.

Kristy said...

Man that just plain sucks! Please say you are atleast going to get the insurance money from your ring right?

Heck ya on the Cubic Zirconium! It is goregous. Travis' aunt had her ring stolen twice and now has a very pretty, massive "rock" and she just says "watch them steal this! ha".

p.s. (I'm kind wondering why I didn't think of a fake in the first place...)

Denise said...

Actually, your ring is probably still sitting at the exit of the household drainage into the larger city sewer. The water going out isn't under pressure and probably wouldn't be enough to float it too far away (unless you were by a huge apartment complex.) Might check to see where the closest manhole cover is, get a gas-filtering mask and send Scott on down...or call those guys with the sewer cameras. Maybe you could call a tv station that would sponsor the camera to get the story. Don't give up! Never surrender!

By the way...I like the fake sparklies myself. Don't ever have to worry about it.