Friday, September 18, 2009

Atleast we know the smoke detectors work...



It seems like my child-proofing skills are being tested on a much too regular basis.  I finally have the bathroom covered.  The living room has nothing but a TV, couch, and a lamp (the coffee table and end tables were removed because of Jack's growing acrobatic skills).  In the kitchen I have put all knives out of reach, all rolling pins that could be used to cause major blunt force trama are hidden, and the toaster stays unplugged unless being used.

Just when I think the house is finally safe for my curiousity stricken lovelies, I am hit in the face with a new challenge.  Today I was preheating the oven for a tasty treat that was in the works.  I left the kitchen and returned to a terrible smell, and smoke all over.  Just as I walked in, the smoke alarm started blaring, and I whipped the oven door open and found flames.  Lots of flames.  One of my two angel babes (not sure which one...I am having a hard time getting them to fess up to it :) ) had decided to throw some of my clothes in the oven. 

Definitely not the end of the world, but I really loved that shirt...it made me look skinnier than I am in real life, AND it was new.  Those little turkeys.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS check to see if your kids have deposited any items in the oven before you turn it on, or you are going to end up with a stinky house and no clothes.

15 comments:

FishinFamily said...

OH.MY.HECK!! Oh Jill, that is great! I am so sorry. There just aren't words, I don't know if I should chuckle at the amazing abilities your kids have or send you a 12 pack of diet coke and chocolate!

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Oh dear! Your blog is very entertaining lately, but I really hate to laugh at your expense. For your sake I hope they grow out of their curiosity soon. Good luck!

Kristy said...

Oh no! I was really worried when I saw the title of your post on my blog too. I don't know what I am going to do when Mayzie is in mischief and Myles is putting her up to even more.

My mom once baby sat for people who stored their tupperwear in the oven. She was told to make a frozen pizza. Had no idea to look in the oven before hand. Not so good.

melody said...

Ha! Man, those kids keep you on your toes!

Sarah said...

I have to always check the oven before I preheat because once my dad hid his store-bought cookies in the oven. Melted plastic all over his treats.

Travis and Celena said...

Oh my gosh! I wouldn't even think of a little kid coming up with something like that. Sorry about your shirt, but I will make note to watch out for that. :0)

Jessie said...

Holy SMOKES {literally}!!!!! That is crazy Jill! I'm glad your place didn't burn down, or that your family wasn't harmed.....but man that sucks that your shirt is now ruined and it was one of your favs!

Makes me think I need to start child proofing EVEN more. Although I have a feeling, that no matter what I do, it will never be enough.

Cindy said...

You certainly have busy toddlers! I don't know if you can buy oven door locks?? Hang in there my sweet daughter!

Amy said...

Wow, seriously you are so lucky it wasn't worse. And I have to say, kind of funny that they would put clothes there, have to say I haven't had the privilege of experiencing that. Hee Hee, glad everyone is okay!

Heather said...

OH man, I hadn't even THOUGHT of that one! And I bet the worse part is that it was your new shirt. I'd be sad about that!!! We're learning quickly that Aidan IS actually tall enough to reach the edge of the counters. Luckily he hasn't grabbed anything too dangerous... YET.

Grandma Scott said...

Sorry about the ring and the shirt (I read everything at once) Never a dull moment at your house...
But you may have two of the cutest children in Washington...

McBrides said...

Jill, that's hilarious - kinda scary, but so funny! Your kiddo's are so entertaining! Oh, and I love Jacks birthday cake too! Happy Birthday Jack!!

Anonymous said...

good day friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging for that particular make. The prices seeking the velcros were about 230 bucks on every site. But completely I found this location selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning dudes. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking for that exact make. The prices seeking the velcros are around 310 pounds on every site. But definitively I bring about this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what do you think?